May The Fourth Be With You – Chocolate Wookies
Happy Star Wars Day! These adorable Chocolate Wookies are the perfect way to celebrate. All you need are some basic wookie ingredients, a gingerbread man cookie cutter, a toothpick, and some chocolate and white icing. If you don’t have cookie icing on hand, I’ve included a simple recipe below.Jump to Recipe
I was so excited to post these today, I could barely sleep last night. I am a giant Star Wars geek and just had to do something special for Star Wars Day. Not only is today May The Fourth, but it’s also my kitty Rebel’s first Birthday. I will be making her a cake today and will do a little photo shoot which I’ll share with you guys later.
I’m assuming if you’re still reading this post, you’re likely a Star Wars fan too. I’d love to know in the comments below what your favourite Star Wars film is and your favourite character. My favourite Star Wars film will always be the original “Episode 4 – A New Hope”. My favourite character is – you guessed it – Chewbacca.
So today’s recipe is an ode to my favourite wookie!
I wanted to come up with something simple, yet fun that everyone could make. These chocolate wookies were the result. I’m guessing that most of you have a gingerbread man cookie cutter kicking around somewhere? The ingredients are so simple, you’ve likely got them kicking around in your baking supplies.
Here’s the ingredient run-down:
Cocoa Powder – The most important ingredient in these Chocolate Wookies is some good-grade cocoa powder. If it’s dutch processed – even better. When I say good-grade, try and opt for some brand name stuff as opposed to the no-name. If that’s all you have on hand it will still work, they just might not be as rich.
Espresso Powder or Instant Coffee – In most of my chocolate recipes you will find coffee in there somewhere. Believe it or not, coffee makes your chocolate taste more – um chocolaty. If you’re using espresso powder, you can just add a teaspoon directly into the batter when mixing. If using Instant Coffee, you’ll want to melt a heaping teaspoon of instant coffee powder in a teaspoon of hot water before adding it to the batter.
Butter – NOT margarine. I used salted butter. If you only have unsalted butter on hand, then just add in 1/4 teaspoon of salt to the dry ingredients. The butter will need to be softened (not melted). I put my butter in a microwave safe container and put it in the microwave for 10 seconds at a time. Do this until the butter feels soft to the touch when you lightly press on it.
Sugar – Just plain old white sugar here, nothing special.
Egg – Have you ever wondered why we put eggs in cookies? Eggs bind all of the ingredients together and hold the shape of your cookies. Just one large egg is all you’ll need for this recipe.
Vanilla Extract – I know it’s expensive, but please, I beg of you, splurge and get the real stuff. Do NOT use artificial vanilla unless you absolutely have no choice. It’s never the same.
A good friend of mine travelled to Mexico just before the Covid 19 took the world by storm. She brought me back some delicious Mexican Vanilla, which is apparently a thing that I had no idea about. It’s the best vanilla I’ve ever had in my life. When I run out I’m definitely going to be hunting down more.
Baking powder – For these wookies I’ve opted for baking powder as a leavening agent.
Flour – Just good ol’ all purpose flour is all you’ll need for these cookies.
Icing – If you have black or brown and white decorating icing on hand, feel free to use that. I didn’t have any on hand so I just made some. For the brown icing I used melted chocolate chips mixed with butter, icing sugar, and heavy cream. For the white icing I just used icing sugar, corn syrup, vanilla extract, and heavy cream. I then put the icings in squeeze bottles with small tips for decorating.
That’s it! Here’s how to make these adorable Chocolate Wookies:
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
In the bowl of your stand mixer (if available) or in a large bowl, combine the softened butter and sugar. Add the egg, cocoa powder, espresso powder (or instant coffee mixed with 1 tsp of hot water), and vanilla extract.
In a separate bowl combine the flour and baking powder. Then slowly fold the dry ingredients in to the wet ingredients until you have a sticky dough like texture.
Roll the dough into a large ball and then transfer to a floured surface. Roll the dough out into approximately 1/4″ thickness. Cut out “wookies’ using a small gingerbread man shaped cookie cutter.
Lay the gingerbread men out on a greased cookie sheet. Use a toothpick to gently press the “hair” lines into the dough.
Put in the oven and bake for 6 minutes. Once done, gently transfer the wookies to a cooling rack and let cool before decorating.
For decorating, use the dark black or brown icing to create the eyes, nose and belt. Use the white icing for the mouth and dots on the belt.
Serve and enjoy! May The Fourth Be With You!
May The Fourth Be With You – Chocolate Wookies
- Stand Mixer (optional)
- Gingerbread Man Cookie Cutters
- Refillable Icing Squeeze Bottles or Piping bags with a small round tip
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp espresso powder (OR 1 heaping tsp of instant coffee mixed with 1 tsp of hot water)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dark icing (black or brown)
- 1/2 cup white icing
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 tsp heavy cream
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer (if available) or in a large bowl, combine the softened butter and sugar. Add the egg, cocoa powder, espresso powder (or instant coffee mixed with 1 tsp of hot water), and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour and baking powder. Then slowly fold the dry ingredients in to the wet ingredients until you have a sticky dough like texture.
- Roll the dough into a large ball and then transfer to a floured surface. Roll the dough out into approximately 1/4" thickness. Cut out "wookies' using a small gingerbread man shaped cookie cutter.
- Lay the gingerbread men out on a greased cookie sheet. Use a toothpick to gently press the "hair" lines into the dough.
- Put in the oven and bake for 6 minutes. Once done, gently transfer the wookies to a cooling rack and let cool before decorating.
- For decorating, use the dark black or brown icing to create the eyes, nose and belt. Use the white icing for the mouth and dots on the belt. Serve and enjoy! May The Fourth Be With You!
- Add chocolate chips and butter to a microwave safe dish. Microwave on high for 10 seconds, remove and stir. Repeat this process until the chocolate and butter are melted and combined.
- Stir in the icing sugar. The chocolate will begin to clump again. Place in the microwave again for another 10 seconds.
- Stir in the cream until you have an icing like consistency. If the icing is too runny you can add a little more icing as needed. Transfer to either a piping bag with a small round tip, or an icing squeeze bottle.
- Combine icing sugar, heavy cream, corn syrup and vanilla extract until combined. Transfer to either a piping bag with a small round tip or an icing squeeze bottle.
If you make this recipe, don’t forget to post a picture on your social media and hashtag #souldamgood!